SummaryDr. Bai has a total of 22 years of professional experience including 15 years of academic experience plus seven years of oil industry experience.Highlights of his research include:
- Being funded 10 external projects with a total budget of around 10 million dollars as PI and Co-PI since I joined in Missouri S&T as a faculty member in 2006. Led nearly 20 research and pilot test projects when working in PetroChina from 1995 to 2002.
- Initiated a new conformance control technology called Preformed Particle Gel for Conformance Control, which has been successfully applied in more than 10,000 wells, and has become a key conformance control technology.
- Established a joint industry project (Particle Gel for Conformance Control) with three companies as foundation members started from Oct 1, 2014. Patented products have been manufactured and pilot tests have been conducted with very promising results.
- Published more than 130 peer-reviewed journal papers and 80 SPE papers. The total citation number has reached to 3944, and i10-index is 102 by Feb 2018. The total download times of these SPE papers are more than 35,000 times.
- Offered 140 presentations in national and international conferences.
- Delivered 50 Invited talks to major oil companies, service companies, research institutes, and universities since 2006.
Awards and Honors30 Awards have been received from Society of Petroleum Engineers (SPE), China National Petroleum Company (CNPC), PetroChina, China Society of Petroleum, and Missouri S&T since 2006.
- Society of Petroleum Engineers (SPE) Mid-Continent Regional Service Award, 2018
- Changjiang Visiting Scholar, Ministry of Education, China, 2017.
- Outstanding Technical Editor, SPE Journal, 2016
- Outstanding Reviewer, Fuel, 2016
- SPE Mid-Continent Regional Distinguished Achievement Award for Petroleum Engineering Faculty, 2016
- Outstanding Teaching Award, 2014, 2015, 2017, Missouri University of Science and Technology
- Outstanding Reviewer, Journal of Petroleum Science and Technology, 2015, 2017
- Best Citation Awards of Petroleum Science (Journal), 2012, 2013
- Longjiang Scholar, 2012-2015, Heilong Jiang Province, P. R. China
- Lester Birbeck Endowed Chair in Missouri University of Science and Technology, Since 2011
- Mines and Metallurgy Academy Faculty Award, Missouri S&T, April 2010
Graduate and Undergraduate Research Supervision
- Supervised 20 PhD students, 14 Master students to complete their thesis/dissertation within last 10 years.
- Currently supervising another 12 PhD and 8 Master students for research.
- Nine of them won competitive research competition awards, regionally, nationally and internationally. Teaching
- Won “Outstanding Teaching Awards” in Missouri S&T in 2014 and 2015, 2017.
- Served the Committee Member for Journal of Petroleum Technology (JPT), 2007-2013, Responsible for "EOR Features"
- SPE Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition (ATCE 2016, 2017,2018), SPE Asia Pacific Oil & Gas Conference and Exhibition (2015, 2016, 2017, 2018)
- Served as External reviewer for Canada Excellence Research Chairs Program and Canada Natural Sources and Engineering Research Council
- Associate Editor of Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering.
- Assiciate Editor of Petroleum Science.
- Provided professional review for over 30 peer-review journals.
- Conformance control to reduce excess water production using gels, expecially preformed particle gels.
- Chemical EOR methods, including polymer flooding, polymer-surfactant flooding, MEOR (biosurfactant), and Wettability alteration for carbonate reservoirs.
- CO2 and CO2 foam flooding
- Shale Gas Development
- Geological carbon sequestration
- Reservoir numerical simulation
- Wellbore Leakage Control, Wellbore Integrity
- Temporary Diverting Agents Development and Application for Acid Stimulation and Hydraulic Fracturing
- Multiphase flow in porous media