| IK History
Knights of the Hook
The Knights of the Hook, a local men's honorary service group at the
University of Washington, had formed in 1919 for the purpose of serving
the university and promoting its traditions. The name "Knights of the
Hook" was chosen with great care and deliberation, being selected because
of the similarity between the duties of the members and the duties of the
knights of old.
By 1922, the Knights had developed a strong organization and were working
hard to promote a union with service groups of other schools. On April
12, 1922, the Intercollegiate Knights National Organization became a
reality. It was on this day that the final sanction was given by the
university, and the Intercollegiate Knights were incorporated under the
laws of the state of Washington. Red and white were chosen as the colors.
The next step was to establish the Intercollegiate Knights at other
universities and colleges. Lester Foran was appointed head of the
expansion committee. His work in behalf of the Intercollegiate Knights
was outstanding. He contacted schools in the Northwest which had service
organizations that were similar to that existing at the University of
Washington and impressed upon them the advantages of a national
organization. Because of the work and dedication of the expansion
committee, five chapters were installed. The charter chapters were: The
Hook Chapter--Univ. of Washington; The Fang Chapter--Montana Chapter; The
Bear Paw Chapter--Univ. of Montana; The Cougar Guard--Washington State;
The Ball and Chain Chapter--Univ. of Idaho; and the Oregon Knights
Chapter--Univ. of Oregon.
The first national convention of the Intercollegiate Knights was held on
the Washington State College Campus in 1924 under the sponsorship of the
Cougar Guard Chapter.
The twenty period from 1925 to 1945 brought about many new developments
in the organization. From 1932 to 1942 many new chapters applied and
were admitted to the organization. Of great importance in this period
was the upswing of interest in the Intercollegiate Knights and the growth
of the organizations influence on many college campuses.
The Intercollegiate Knights practically disbanded during WWII when many
left to serve with the Armed Forces. Only the chapters located at the
Univ. of Idaho, the Univ. of Utah, and Idaho State Univ. continued to
operate, and these had very limited activities. With the resumptoin of
peaceful education after the war, a loyal nucleus of members returned to
activate the many chapters and the National Organization was
reestablished in a short time.
By 1959, there were thirty active chapters in the National Organization,
but eventually dissatisfaction and internal difficulties with the
National Organization reduced the number to sixteen active chapters by 1978.
Founding of IK of Missouri
IK of Missouri was founded March 11, 1990 when the national fraternity
grew too weak to sustain itself. The UMR chapter was one of the only
chapters to maintain support as the organization began to crumble.
Finally in the winter semester of 1989, it was decided that some action
must be taken.
Our chapter was founded by two individuals who we now honor for their
efforts in the incorporation of IK of Missouri. These two people were
Ted Ferkenhoff and Doug Haney. Ferkenhoff was the Honorable Duke and
Haney was the Worthy Earl at that time. Their efforts to salvage what
was left of the Intercollegiate Knights and to carry on the ideals of
knighthood went well beyond the call of duty. Together they created our
Ritual and Constitution and gave new directions to Intercollegiate Knights
for years to come.
Today we boast one of the largest service organizations on campus without
the burden of a national organization peering over our shoulders and
directing our actions.