101 Bureau of Mines Bldg. #1
1870 Miner Circle
Rolla, MO 65409-0010
Phone: (573) 341-4538 Fax: (573) 341-6605
University of Hawaii, B.S., 1985
University of Missouri-Columbia, M.S., 1988
University of Missouri-Columbia, Ph.D., 1991
U.S. Department of Agriculture - ARS, Postdoctoral Fellow, 1992-1995
RESEARCH INTERESTS: Analytical Chemistry and Environmental Chemistry.
Analysis of trace-level endocrine distruptors (hormone-like chemicals) in aquatic environment using analytical techniques based on GC/MS and LC/MS to assess the effect of anthropogenic activities; MS-based characterization of bio-molecules such as amino acids, peptides, proteins, etc.; In-situ real-time chemical and physical characterization and monitoring of airborne aerosols from emission sources including oil vapor, combustion, engine exhaust, and nanoparticle productions; Study of fate and migration of organic and inorganic pollutants in air, water, and soil; Chemical vapor detection devices for explosives and chemical warfare agents; Development of soy-based products and analyses for major and minor composition; Interdisciplinary approach to economical and safe remediation techniques; Fundamental study and applications of supercritical fluid extraction and chromatography.
M. Rajesh, S. Kapila, P. Nam, D. Forciniti, S. Lorbert, and C. Schasteen, “Enzymatic Synthesis an dCharacterization of L-Methionine and 2-Hydroxy-4-(methylthio) butanoic Acid (HMB) Co-oligomers, J. Agric. Food Chem., 51, 2461-2467, (2003).
V. Flanigan, H. Shi, N. Nateri, P. Nam, K. Lee, S. Kapila, “A fluidized bed combustor for treatment of high moisture content waste”, Proceedings of the IV International Conference on Value Added Resource Recovery, L’Aquila, Italy, (2003).
Y. Liske, S. Kapila, V. Flanigan, P. Nam and S. Lorbert, “Production of Feedstock Chemicals from Ammonium Sulfate and Ammonium Bisulfate,” J. Hazardous Subs Research, (ISSN 1090-7025), 2, 8-11 (2001).
P. Nam, S. Kapila, Q. H. Liu, and W. Tumiatti, A. Prociani and V. Flanigan,“Solvent Extraction and Tandem Dechlorination for Decontamination of Soil,” Chemosphere, 43, 485-491 (2001).
M. Gehrke, S. Kapila, P. Nam, and V. Flanigan, “A High Efficiency All Glass Sampling and Concentration Device for Adsorptive Semivolatile Organics,” Chemosphere, 43, 479-483 (2001).
M. Gehrke, S. Kapila, P. Nam and V. Flanigan “Design of an Automated Rapid Vapor Concentrator and its Application in Nitroaromatic Vapor Sampling” Chemosphere, 2000
P. Nam, Q. Liu, S. Kapila, W. Tumiatti and A. Porciani, “Assessment of Radiolysis and Chemical Dehalogenation for Decontamination of PCBs and PCDDs in Soil.” Organohalogen Compounds, Vol. 40, 507-511,1999
J.W. King and K.S. Nam, “Coupling Enzyme Immunoassay with Supercritical Fluid Extraction”, In Immunoassays for Residue Analysis: Food Safety, Ross C. Beier and Larry H. Stanker, Eds., American Chemical Society, Washington, DC, ACS Symposium Series No. 621, pp. 422-438 (1996)
J. Snyder, J.W. King, and K.S. Nam, “Determination of Volatile and Semivolatile Contaminants in Meat by Supercritical Fluid Extraction / Gas Chromatography / Mass Spectrometry”, J. Sci. Food Agric., 72 (1), 25-30 (1996)
K.S. Nam and J.W. King, “Supercritical Fluid Extraction and Enzyme Immunoassay for Pesticide Detection in Meat Products”, J. Agric. Food Chem, Vol. 42 (7), pp. 1469-1474 (1994)
Patent No. 6,939,693 (September 2005), “Enantioselective oligomerization of a-hydroxy carboxylic acids and a-amino acids”
Patents (3) No. 6,800,318 (October 2004), No. 6,793,951 (September 2004), and No. 6,547,987 (April 2003), “Solvent and Method for Extraction of Triglyceride Rich Oil”,
Patent No. 6,605,590 (August 2003), “Oligomers and Oligomeric Segments -amino Acids and Uses in Improvinga-hydroxy Carboxylic Acids and a of Bioavailability of Nutrition Supplement for Ruminants”
Patent No. 6,342,651 (January 2002), “Reductive Combustion of Ammonium Salts of Sulfuric Acid”
Patent No. WO 2002088667, PCT Int. Appl. (2002), “Enantioselective -amino acids, especially fora-hydroxy carboxylic acids and aoligomerization of rumen bypass and delayed digestion”
1. “Fuel Preporator Evaluation” US Army, TACOM; (2004–2006)
2. “Development of Healthy Food and Drink Products from Germinated and Fermented Soybean”
Missouri Soybean Merchandising Council, Jefferson City, MO; (2004–2007)
3. “Development of Advanced Sensors, Obscurants and Robotic Obscurant Platform”US Army, SBCCOM; (2002-2005)
4. “Endocrine Modulators and Excess Nutrients in Little Medicine Creek and West Locust Creek”
Missouri Dept. of Conservation; (2003–2007)
1. “Assessment of Endocrine Disruption in Hellbenders (Crytobranchus alleganiensis) in Missouri Rivers”
Missouri Dept. of Conservation; (2002–2004)
2. “Technique Development for Characterization of Heterogeneous Glycoproteins”
Monsanto Protein Technologies, St. Louis, MO; (2002–2004)
3. “Physicochemical Characterization and Biological Evaluation of Mineral and Biogenic Oil Based Obscurant Smoke”
US EPA; (2001–2005)
4. “Research Grade Mass Spectrometers” DOE-Los Alamos National Laboratory; (2004)
5. “Development of Soy Hull – Glycerol Derived Urethane Foams and Evaluation of their Mechanical Properties”
Missouri Soybean Merchandising Council, Jefferson City, MO; (2002–2004)
6. “Determination of Antioxidant Activity and Antioxidant Constituents from Natural and Synthetic Sample Sources”
Novus International, St. Louis, MO; (2001–2003)
7. “Enzymatic Synthesis and Characterization of MHBA and Amino Acid Co-Oligomers”
Novus International, St. Louis, MO; (1998–2003)
8. “Development of High Quality, Healthy and Economic Soy Foods for Human Consumption”
Missouri Soybean Merchandising Council, Jefferson City, MO; (2002–2003)
9. “An Assessment of High Oleic Soy Oil Esters as Technical Fluids: Insulating and Lubricating Oils” Missouri Soybean Merchandising Council, Jefferson City, MO; (2000–2002)
10. “A Process for Selective Extraction of Tocopherols, Isoflavons, and Sterols from Soy Flakes”
Missouri Soybean Merchandising Council, Jefferson City, MO; (2000–2002)
11. “Development of On-Line, Real Time Particulate Matter Characterization and Monitoring System”
US AirForce and NASA SBIR through Deposition Research Lab Inc., St. Louis, MO; (1998-2001)
12. “Characterization and Biological Effect Study of Endocrine Disruptors in Effluents from Missouri Sewage Treatment Plants”
US Geological Survey and Missouri Water Resources Research Center, Columbia, MO; (2001-2002)
13. “Development of a Combustion Process for the Production of Feedstock Chemicals from Ammonium Sulfate and Ammonium Bisulfate”
Novus International, St. Louis, MO; (1998-2000)
14. “Design, Fabrication, and Evaluation of a Pilot-Scale Continuous-Feed Soybean Processing System and Use of Novel Solvent for Tailored Soybean Oil Extraction”
United Soybean Board, St. Louis, MO; (1998-2000)
15. “Selective Extraction of Soybean Oil Constituents with Novel Solvent Systems” Missouri Soybean Merchandising Council, Jefferson City, MO; (1998-2000)