.: The History of the Missouri Tau Lambda Chapter
Missouri University of Science and Technology
In the fall of 1954, Dr. Aaron J. Miles, chairman of the Mechanical Engineering Department, Missouri School of Mines and Metallurgy with five students, Ed Clark, Truman Anderson, Arthur Baebler, John Miles and Frank Paladin organized a group of undergraduate students who qualified for membership in Pi Tau Sigma and petitioned the National Council Of Pi Tau Sigma.
Missouri Tau Lambda Chapter was installed April 161 1955, by National Vice President C. M. Leonard, National Secretary.-Treasurer D. S. Clark, Professor Miles, Professor R. L. Scorah (Chairman of the M.E. Department of Missouri University), and a delegation from Missouri Epsilon Chapter.
The Missouri Tau Lambda Chapter since its inception has taken a leading role in various departmental activities and has taken pride in the strong social and academic ties created among its members. The chapter currently is among the largest in membership and anticipates even further growth in future years.
.: The History of Pi Tau Sigma
© Copyright Pi Tau Sigma 2007, All rights reserved.
With the twentieth century came the realization that honor societies made a definite contribution to the department and that membership required active participation. Pi Tau Sigma came into being on March 16, 1915, at the University of Illinois. A similar organization embarked November 15, 1915, at Wisconsin, and other local organizations (such as the Carzeuran of Purdue) were soon to become active.
The early leaders: Professors C. R. Richards, A. C. Willard, and 0. A. Leutwiler of the University of Illinois; G. L. Larson of the University of Wisconsin; G. A. Young of Purdue University; and J. V. Martenis of the University of Minnesota, stand out for their early contributions.
In ten years Pi Tau Sigma grew to six chapters in the Midwest (Illinois Alpha, Wisconsin Alpha, Purdue Beta, Minnesota Gamma, Illinois Delta, and Missouri Epsilon). In 1925 the expansion continued to the east with the Penn State Zeta Chapter being installed. Six years later the Texas Kappa Chapter, and the following year the Colorado Mu Chapter established chapters in the south and west. Also in 1932 the expansion continued southeast to Georgia Tech Nu Chapter. It was not until nine years later that the first chapter was installed on the Pacific coast (Oregon State Omega). In twenty-six years Pi Tau Sigma became truly a national honorary mechanical engineering fraternity with a total of twenty-five chapters. During the succeeding four years nine additional chapters were installed.
From 1947 to 1958 forty new chapters were installed. The Chapter-At-Large was established in 1954. The installations completed through the spring of 1993 bring the total established chapters to one hundred and fifty-three. Two chapters have become inactive, one due to the discontinuance of the mechanical engineering program. Earlier, two established chapters in New York merged into one. At this time, 150 chapters remain active at different universities.