Spring 2013 Student Comments

Class Format - Positive

1. He doesn't treat students like children, he sets up a class that is meant for college students and provides everything needed to learn the material.
  2. It is a unique set-up, but I think it makes students understand the material better.
  3. I really enjoyed Dr. Thomas's set up for this course. At first it seemed very weird and different, but after a semester of the class I feel like I have a complete and thorough understanding of the material.
  4. It is very applicable to the real world.
  5. Good philosophy on learning, excellent explanations of material when asked upon.
  6. Very useful, and actually uses previously learned knowledge from other courses.
  7. Interesting format. Different from any other class I've ever had, but I am learning a lot and doing pretty well.
  8. He has shaped his way of teaching to fit the needs of his students and for that he has my respect.

Class Format - Negative

1. The instructor takes hands off to a whole new level. There was little to no lecturing over material or teaching of material. The only lecturing was conducted over his personal interests rather than actual mechanics of materials information.  Teach the class.
  2. shouldnt have to pay for a study session, put some actual material lecture into would be great.  instructor? no you teach yourself in this class he gets paid to make tests. this class should be offered at a discount since you teach yourself everything. pretty sweet gig for thomas though
  3. The only weakness I have for this course is that I am still unable to determine how this course is applicable to my career field (nuclear engineering). Other than this however, the course structure allowed me to study and learn during class times and still be able to work on my own as well. The quizzes also showed me where I knew the material and where I struggled as I moved through the course instead of having tests where I could have misunderstood a concept for weeks before discovering the misunderstanding.

Web Site

1. I love that we really learn in our own way, however that may be. His videos and all of the resources made available to us really ground the material in.
  2. Requires students to teach themselves with the aid of a very comprehensive and effective website that explains the concepts in a logical and clear manner.
  3. What was done in past years is available to look at; ranking system of each topic with 1 being average is very helpful.

Homework

1. You really have to have personal responsibility to stay caught up with the homework because it is not actually collected or graded. If you can stay on top of your stuff then it's fine.
  2. This course requires self motivation. You get out of it what you put in.

Quizzes

1. I really like having seven quizzes a semester rather than 3 big exams.
  2. Favorite class I have ever had. Not so much due to the material covered but the structure of the course. If all my classes were this structure with multiple tests and study hall lectures I would be ecstatic. I respect that the instructor took the time to figure out the best structure for students. I was very happy with this class. I thought I would hate the multiple choice tests but ended up loving them! Thanks.
  3. Spend less time reviewing the quizzes.  X7

Grades

1. Hands down the best course I have taken in my life. I have learned more than any other class and my grades on tests actually reflect what I learned of that material.
  2. I have already taken the course with Philpot and received a "D". As I was valedictorian in HS and close to a 4.0 student in college this was a pretty big blow to me. I seriously questioned engineering. I just loved how understanding you were that it was indeed a tough class, but not to get down on ourselves, that 20 percent of people last summer were taking it for a third time. Your methods of teaching fit more to my personal style, for I need to do lots of practice problems to completely understand the material. Anyways I truly am enjoying this semester.
  3. It's really all or nothing when it comes to choosing between the Thomas and Philpot sections. I would have probably earned a better grade in Philpot's sections. However, I believe being in Thomas's section was a beneficial experience for me.