- The column calculations
can be performed for five column formulas
- the Euler buckling formula,
- the AISC Allowable Stress Design formula,
- the Aluminum Association formula for 2014-T6 aluminum
- the Aluminum Association formula for 2014-T6 aluminum, and
- the AF&PA NDS formula for wood columns.
- Two elevation views (i.e., strong-axis buckling and weak-axis
buckling) along with the corresponding cross-section views are shown for each
- Any column end restraint (i.e., pinned, fixed, free, guided) can be
selected for either column buckling direction.
- The user can
also add an intermediate support in either direction that can be positioned
at any location between the two end restraints.
- The critical
buckling load and stress is computed and the buckled shape is shown for the
column buckling direction that controls.
- A plot of critical
stress versus slenderness ratio is shown and the results of the two buckling
directions are shown on the overall plot.
the user may define the material yield stress and/or proportional limit so
that the applicability of Euler buckling may be assessed.